Friday, July 3, 2015

Axioms of Web Design






Chris Burkard is one of my favorite go-to sites, I love his work and I find this site soothing. His interface is much like a gallery, his main focus is on his work, this makes for a very intuitive understanding of what he does. I first found him while researching some goal zero products. Chris travels to remote destinations primarily focusing on surf photography.

When you reach his landing page there is very little text, instead his background loops through a few definitive pieces of his work. Its hard to tell from these screen shots, but all of the images chosen for the landing page actually have the subject of the photograph in the lower right corner.  I found this especially intriguing after talking about this axiom in class. Also-the first image on his landing page pictured above (surfer in Iceland) has a strong diagonal line within the landscape imagery, another selection for the site's main page.

His navigation bar is pretty straight forward, each has a little drop down menu with more options, its very clear and intuitive to navigate.

When reaching his gallery we get to my favorite part. I love the grid of images, I especially love the fact that there is no text or explanation. Its very quiet, you can literally sit back at the screen and try to imagine the context of each photograph. All of his galleries have the same interface. I selected to show the commercial gallery for the variety of images, I love how the images are so different but because of their placement there is some sort of cohesion.

Any first time user would be able to understand this site belongs to an adventure photographer, long before they click to his bio.

 
 

1 comments:

  1. I love how clean this layout is. It really allows his work to speak for itself.

    ReplyDelete